Monday 9 April 2012

Friendly Neighbourhood Spiderman

I am concerned.
My lovely gentle baby (boy number one) is rapidly becoming a boy.
This was inevitable as he is a boy.
What I mean is that he is still only three (I am clinging to him only being three for these last couple of months!) and I am already becoming some what redundant in the entertainment department. Spiderman is a boy. Batman is a boy. Jack Sparrow is a boy. Lightening McQueen is a car and also a boy.

It was not so long ago that the little man could spend a significant amount of time putting together jigsaws or drawing pictures with me.
Nowadays I can be innocently getting on with my motherly duties, unaware of the imminent danger when all of a sudden Spiderman races in the room and I am undeservedly 'webbed'. The worry is the uncertainty; someday's its the wall crawling super hero, other days its Jack Sparrow and my legs are easy targets for canons being shot from the Black Pearl. Sometimes Finn McMissile comes flying in only to shoot a missile at my head. Unnecessary.


Don't get me wrong we still sit down and paint together or play games but the ability of these activities to hold the toddlers attention has somewhat diminished. He has got such an amazing imagination which I'm thrilled about but being a boy this always leads back to a 'goody' a 'baddy' and a violent rescue mission of some sort.


I love Disney. More significantly I love the music from Disney films. This love has definitely been passed on down to the toddler. He likes all things Disney - if you ever see a crazy looking woman, a toddler and a baby driving round in a somewhat rusty looking Fiesta singing their hearts out it could well be us. I cried when I realised boy number one had learned the words to 'Can you Feel the Love Tonight'. Disney makes me emotional.
 However, yesterday I heard the dreaded words from said boy's mouth..."this is a girls song Mum". I had snuck a song from Tangled on his ipod playlist (yes he has several playlists, no he doesn't have his own ipod- yet). He has always loved the song in question whenever we have watched the film. Maybe he wanted to look manly in front of his Dad and Grandpops? Or maybe I have to be honest with myself and admit that my little boy is growing up. He is changing before my eyes every day and his personality gets stronger.


All is not lost. Despite some girlish tendancies I actually enjoy many of the past times that my boys are sure to want to indulge in: I like sport - I don't mind watching a football match every now and again, I'm good at racquet sports and I can swing a golf club; I love history so castles, knights and all things medieval make me happy; I would rather watch Star Wars than Love Actually and I challenge anyone to beat me at Zombie shooting computer games.


Not having a daughter does mean however that I will be putting immense pressure on my brother and his wife to give me a niece (a bit mean really given it would be quite difficult to guarantee a girl). My friends daughters will never be rid of me when it comes to getting ready for their first school disco, date or any special occasion. I will be involved in the choosing of their wedding dress whether they like it or not.
 My Mum and I will always have to continue to pretend we are 'going shopping' when the reality is we go in one shop and then decide its coffee and cake time.


As long as they agree to come see Joseph and His Technicolour Dreamcoat with me at least once then my son's are free to be as boyish as they please.





















7 comments:

  1. Ann its so sad when you look at them and realise they are no longer babies and are little people with likes of their own! But on the flip side it's amazing watching their personalities form and grow!

    Your little man sounds like a lovely little boy, very sweet!

    X x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. He makes me laugh every day with new stories/songs or just silly things he has made up! xx

      Delete
  2. Love this post! My son is also 3 years old and into spiderman, superman and Batman... he's got the dressing up outfits and I rarely see him in his normal clothes nowadays! I agree with you about their amazing imaginations.

    I've also got a 1 year old daughter so get to do all the girly things too! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have the best of both worlds then! Lucky you. My toddler has asked for a spiderman dressing up outfit for his birthday so I fear he will be wearing that for the rest of the year!
      Ha
      xx

      Delete
  3. I'm sure this stage is a strange transition, but a fun one!! Thanks so much for sharing. I always love reading what other mommys have to say. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is lots of fun at the moment and has lots of energy! Glad you like the post.

      xx

      Delete
  4. Ah bless him. Youngling loves dressing up in Buzz outfits and what not and though I am aware he is growing up far too quickly I am so lucky that he still likes his 'cuggles'. I hope he never grows too old for those. Bring on the next baby I say ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete